Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Invisible Middle School









                                                                         Pictured above.
     I can't remember a time when I didn't know the name of my local high school. When I was in kindergarten, the elementary school was going through some repairs, so my first few weeks of school took place in the high school building. When I got older, I watched the high school basketball team and dance company at assemblies. My brother's football jerseys were the high school colors. My classmates wore t-shirts, pants, and sweatshirts with the high school's name or mascot on them. If I wanted to, I could buy these at my local grocery store. Everybody made a big deal when the football team won a game, even me, and I don't like sports in general.
     When I was in fifth grade, a friend told me she would be going to Oquirrh Hills and asked if I would go to the same place. "I don't know," I said. I knew I was going to the local middle school, but I didn't know the school's name. After two years at Oquirrh, I'm still not sure what our school colors are. Nobody knows who's on the basketball team-the only team we have-unless they sit next to you in class and tell you. The only sweatshirts with our school's name on it our worn by student leadership groups. Even the elementary school has shirts for sale twice a year.
     Why is it that middle schools seem to fade into the background? Maybe it's because they're in the middle. People have a tendency to look at the littlest and biggest things and ignore the stuff in the middle. This can affect laws being made. Awhile back, people were talking about making a law that would cut busing from middle and high school students and give it to elementary schools. One of the reasons for this was the fact that many high school students drive their own cars. That's great, but what about the middle schoolers?
     Just remember not to overlook somebody because they're too old or young. Like this guy:






1 comment:

  1. You're right about the whole obscure middle school thing. Looking back on my middle school years, I mostly wish I could forget them. Not too many fond memories. I wonder if it's because I was so awkward, or if those around me were, or if middle schoolers are just generally over-looked. Interesting to think about.

    ReplyDelete