Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Wait, That's the World I Live In?

Today I saw an msn article entitled '75 reasons to feel old? How college freshmen view world'.
Being me, I clicked on it. First, let's take a moment to consider the horrible structure of that first sentence. Where did you go to journalism school, Dinesh Ramde?
The article discusses various changes they say the class of 2016 has always taken for granted.  Suitcases with wheels, women holding political office, those sort of things. I could agree with those. Yes, I've seen normal suitcases, my family owns a few, but those aren't the ones we use.
Then it claims we have no need for radios (unless, I don't know, you're in a car on your way to somewhere fun with lots of friends and want background music.).
Most of the article is in list format.
1. They should keep their eyes open for Justin Bieber or Dakota Fanning at freshman orientation.
Pretty sure he's not abandoning his multimillion dollar career to study. It also calls him our "peer" elsewhere in the article. Actually, I've never met the guy. Barack Obama has, though. I heard they met in support group.

2. They have always lived in cyberspace, addicted to a new generation of "electronic narcotics."
That's the third time it refers to internet addictions. Really, you have 74 other items on the list. No need to wear out the most stereotyped one.
3. The Biblical sources of terms such as "forbidden fruit," "the writing on the wall," "good Samaritan," and "the promised land" are unknown to most of them.
You really think none of us do? Yes, church attendence in America is at an all-time low. If our parents stop going to church, we never get exposed to the gospel.
8. Bill Clinton is a senior statesman of whose presidency they have little knowledge.
He was president when I was born. Bush took over when I was four. I think I first heard Clinton's name when I was ten.
10. On TV and in films, the ditzy dumb blonde female generally has been replaced by a couple of dumb and dumber males.
I've actually seen a lot of both.
18. Their folks have never gazed with pride on a new set of bound encyclopedias on the bookshelf.

I did laugh when I gazed at a used encyclopedia on my brother's shelf. "I always wanted one," he said. I have one of those. It's called the internet and it's free. At least I know where to go in a power outage.
28. Star Wars has always been just a film, not a defense strategy.
You haven't been to my house.
No, they aren't my brothers. But they could be.
35. Probably the most tribal generation in history, they despise being separated from contact with their similar-aged friends.
Tribal?
Now that's just insulting.

 

And just paragraphs ago they claimed we were alienating ourselves with our technology addictions.
They really need to have these articles written by actual teenagers. We live in the world adults can only study from behind a clipboard. Wait, no we don't. It's the same planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment