Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Bethany Mota: Real Teenage Girl


Before to post-State of the Union YouTube interviews, I'd never heard of Bethany Mota. YouTube is my music source, nothing more. When I want social media dialogue I go to blogs or twitter. I only tuned in for Hank Green, but when I found out she was nineteen, I scrolled ahead to watch her parts.
I'm not trying to minimize her accomplishments. I know she travels the world and inspires millions. But while she does all those things, she's a real teenage girl.
If a nineteen year old girl can interview the president, then I can do anything.
We can do anything.
Mota-I'm not calling her Bethany, even though she's in my age bracket-she brought up topics teenage girls actually care about, like bullying and the Boko Haram kidnappings. Naturally, she's received some backlash for not focusing on different issues. Y'know, because we should be talking about pollution and terrorism and the NSA and...and...and...and...
Come on, people. If you've got a problem with this, spend six years building up a viral YouTube platform, and interview the next president. Go on. Shoo shoo. I'll wait.
Oh, and while you're doing that, you may be interested to know that Obama's term ends in 2016. Because, you know. Add the 4 to the 2012. I've been counting down since sixth grade but apparently this isn't common knowledge.
I'm going to close my eyes and pretend most of the searches didn't come from voting-age adults 
Anyway, back to Bethany. Mota. My favorite moment of the interview wasn't when Obama told her, in regards to bullying, "Your voice is more powerful than the President of the United States'." Yes, that was a good one, but the best was she admitted that she "never really followed politics as much."
Yes, there are millions of American voter-googlers who devote significant chunks of brainspace to politics. Mota doesn't. But does she have to? She's a nineteen year old fashion vlogger.

Real teenage girls have shortcomings.
Real teenage girls take selfies.
Real teenage girls are worried about what they're wearing tomorrow, how they're paying for college in four years, and where the government's going to be twenty years from now.
The passions and problems of young women merit just as much attention as GloZell and Hank Green's demographics. The world needs all types, not just political minds. But still, I know plenty of real teenage girls who are more capable than the google-voters making their voices heard right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment