Friday, November 14, 2014

I Am the Champion

"If youth, throughout all history, had a champion to stand up for it; to show a doubting world that a child can think; and, possibly, do it practically; you wouldn't constantly run across folks today who claim that "a child don't know anything."
-Ernest Vincent Wright

In roughly three and a half years, I've written nearly three hundred posts, and in all of them, I use "we" to refer to teenagers. Adults are "they", or, when I choose to address them, the collective "you".
Legally, I am now an adult. Adulthood is purely legal for me at this point. I'm still in school and I'm subject to my parents' rules and whims. Still, I could be a they if I wanted to. But I won't. It contradicts every post I've written in the past, and besides, it confuses readers.
I'm going to keep up my blog. Numerically, I'm still a teenager for the next two years. Emotionally, I don't know if I'll ever leave. I wouldn't have turned sixteen if I had the option. I'll always be able to sympathize with teenagers.
For years, I've dreaded my eighteenth birthday. My youth is such a vital part of my identity. So is my blog. Once I lost one, could I keep up the other?
But I've decided to stay. I like blogging and there's a smattering of souls out there who care to read my words. If I can't be a youth myself, I'll be a champion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment