Friday, October 25, 2013

Why You're Probably Not Going to Die at School

So let's recap. This week we had Jose Reyes, a sixth grader from Nevada, shooting his teacher. Two days later, Phillip Chism, a Massachusetts freshman, killed his teacher. The media's connecting these two and drawing a line back to Sandy Hook. As if they're all related.
 I've heard nothing about Chism saying, "Hey, murder-suicide! That's a good idea! I think I'll take inspiration from a guy I've never met on the other side of the country." Yes, shootings are tragic. Yes, it's nice to have someone to blame. Or at least something. Violent video games are a fun scapegoat. Now we've got Reyes.
There's no reason to tie two unrelated killings together. Not in cause-effect and not in media coverage. Phillip Chism is not connected to Jose Reyes is not connected to Adam Lanza. You don't need to worry about teenagers taking to the halls with guns. I'm happy to report that all of my teachers survived the day. Even the annoying ones who don't enter grades until the end of the quarter.
Last year, there were 124 murders in Nevada and 121 in Massachusetts. I'm sure if you look through those you'll find wives who killed their husbands in both states. You'll find strangers who killed strangers in both states. Disturbing? Yes.
Connected? No.
So don't act like they are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment