Monday, May 4, 2015

Windows Down

Last week, my school's choirs were supposed to travel down to another high school in two buses for our regional competition. The second bus never showed up, so our director said, "Smaller choirs, you've had transportation release forms. Just drive."
I had a car, and three of my friends didn't, so I ended up being the taxicab for that afternoon.
So I drove.
On a freeway.
In construction.
During rush hour.
With three choir girls belting off-key renditions of whatever's blasting on the radio even though they've just proven themselves capable of carrying a tune.
But you know what? I was fine with it. Because I'm doing an internship that entails driving through that same stretch on construction several times a week. I rolled down the windows, sang along with them, and even drank a smoothie for part of the way. For me, it was a party. When  I related the story to a friend the next day, she had this look of horror on her face. A lot of people wouldn't be able to stand the chaos. I know college-bound seniors who are still terrified of freeway driving. I know I was back in the fall when I first drove sans adult supervision.
When I took my internship, I did it because
1) I got to drop my math class
2) It's a stepping stone to my dream career
But as a side effect, I gained confidence and competence.
While I was singing onstage, I thought of all the experiences I've had with choir, and how I wish, despite all the drama, that I'd started sooner. I decided if I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell Sophomore Self to drop newspaper, because I hated everyone in that class except that one Goth kid and the Italian foreign exchange student who never talked. That way I could take choir instead. But if I hadn't taken newspaper, I wouldn't have transferred into foods, the only other class available, and met my friend Marina. Marina was one of those seniors who just radiated confidence down upon little sophomores like me. She talked up choir, so when registration came around, I signed up for it.
Lots of people seem to think that life choices have simple, cause-effect ramifications. But you can't just hit one pool ball and think you know where everything's headed. From the way career counselors talk, you think you need to plan out your entire life by eighth grade and stick to it through grad school. Actually, life is so much more than growing up, up growing up is so much more than what you'll do when you grow up. Do, not be.
I'm going over college housing registration in the other tab. Again. Because my first choice didn't end up being a permanent choice. Life is so much more than what you expect out of it, but don't let it hold you back. Just hit a ball and see what you get to shoot at next.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment