Saturday, July 19, 2014

I'd Rather Be Seventy

I'm dreading college, those early adults years sound like a drag, and the idea of middle age frankly disgusts me. The only thing that compels me to continue aging? The reward of old age. After I wade through all the crap I'll finally get somewhere worthwhile.
Of course I'm aware that old age comes with diabetes and heart disease and arthiritis and Alzheimer's as your body conspires against you. Of course I'm aware that dressing the way I did in my youth will make me "look like an old lady" while keeping up with trends means I'm "trying too hard". But old age has its perks. And I'm not talking about the discounted movie tickets.
You can look down. When those young whippersnappers whine about how awful life is nowadays, you can remind them that you grew to maturity during The War. It doesn't matter which war, really. We have enough of them and you'll live through one eventually. You can brag about the accomplishments of your generation-never mind that the upcoming ones are making the same progress you did. I don't believe wisdom is a direct product of age-it comes from experience-but I won't deny that old age gives you an air of dignity.
You know what? I think I'll keep aging. I've got something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment